Saturday, March 14, 2009

the calm before the storm...




Second day of chemo treatment...I'm using as much of the energy I have before the poison (chemo) hits me hard (usually after 2-3 days). I've had sleepless nights since I'm taking Dexamethasone, which is supposed to help prevent swelling. I also keep up with my anti-nausea medicine (Zofran) to prevent myself from spending too much time in the bathroom puking my guts out.

What I eat to help with energy: I loaded my refrigerator with Ensure Plus, Soy Milk, Rice Milk, and Yoghurt (Activia) so that I can have all the protein and calories that I need. Solid foods for the next two weeks will be impossible, especially foods with strong smells. Simple protein/calorie packed, popped in the microwave type foods will do. These types of foods are usually good because I don't have to handle sharp objects. You wouldn't want to cut yourself and bleed to death.

I was told my hair might thin a little bit, but there's also a chance of complete hair loss. I will make a trip to the beauty salon while I have energy left and get a short hair cut. I also purchase a couple of ski hats (cold in Monterey, CA) to help hide my bald head.

How do I feel right now: I really cannot describe how I feel right now, all I know is, I better be ready to combat any and all side effects and give my body the nutrition it needs in order for me to survive and live a semi-normal life during this treatment. We really never know how bad it's going to be until we get there.

No comments: